Life & Harmonium

Life & Harmonium
Some days ago, I bought a harmonium.
In fact, for quite some time—rather, for months—I had been seized by an idea that a person ought to have some skill to play an instrument of his choice. Such an idea had never occurred to me in my childhood, and to find it developing in me after so many years was quite a strange thing.
Prompted by this urge, I started noticing how an expert generates melodious notes and songs from a harmonium.
The day I purchased it, I thought I would play the instrument, despite never having had even the slightest knowledge of its ABC.
Lo! The very first key I pressed produced a sound resembling the cry of a child. Another key gave rise to a very unattractive, almost repelling, sound. The next key produced an even more unpleasant note.
I then wondered: How does a musician manage to produce music that is so appealing to listen to?
A little reflection brought the answer.
The musician knows which keys to press, in what combination, at what speed, and when. The beauty does not lie in any particular key; it lies in knowing how the keys are to be used together.
So is our life.
It too has a number of keys which, upon proper combination, produce different songs in our lives. Some keys may produce unpleasant notes when pressed at the wrong time or in the wrong combination; the same life, however, can produce a beautiful melody when its keys are played with understanding and harmony.
We have to learn this art at some point in our lives. Otherwise, the harmonium of life may have all the keys, yet fail to produce the song we wish to hear.
— RRP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

साधन चतुष्टय

जिन मुश्किलों में मुस्कुराना हो मना

रामचरितमानस में पर्यावरणतत्व का दिग्दर्शन